ELM118 Looking N/E up Whitney Avenue across the intersection of Broadway 1929. There is a restaurant where the bank building was. It is in a one-story building that was originally built as a post office.
Elmhurst was first known as Middleburgh, and later as Hastings, when it was established in 1652. Colonists began to refer to Hastings as “new town” in order to distinguish it from Queen’s first and abandoned settlement of Maspeth (established in 1642, abandoned in 1644). In 1683, the name Newtown was officially given to the village and township. In 1896 Cord Meyer jr. successfully rallied to change the town’s name to Elmhurst (meaning “a grove of elms”) in an effort to disassociate his development from the notoriously polluted Newtown Creek.