Monday, February 25, 2008

Dongan Avenue



Two aerial views show Dongan Avenue North of Broadway today. The top photo looks eastward across the LIRR tracks - 86-25 is the red building on the left. The second photo looks north across Broadway with 86-25 partially hidden. You can see the last wood frame Claremont Terrace home and the commercial block built on its front lawn.

Now does anyone remember the futuristic looking house that used to sit at the end of Dongan Avenue? It was torn down in the 70's I believe. Better yet does anyone have a photo?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived on Dongan Avenue for many years (34)!1 I do remember that futuristic looking building. It used to be a office building (architect firm) that was vacated by them in the mid 80's. It was sadly burned down on the Fourth of July a few years later.

Last Mohican said...

I grew up on that block since age of 8, played around that house, which was referred to as the "White House." Also, last Claremont Terrace depicted was boyhood home of my uncle. Before that, was owned by Lord of Lord and Taylor notoriety.It was demolished few years back without publicity, now replaced by ugly brick structure without new work done in few years.

Unknown said...

I would like to see that photo, my father was actually the super of the white building for 25 years and I've always wondered what was back there in what I and most the young people on the block call the Jungle!

Anonymous said...

I also grew up on Dongan Avenue and have fond memories of playing and hanging out on the steps of the "White House". My parents still live there and I visit them several times a week. I was there when it burned down.